A good sanding with my palm sander helped smooth out the shellac that was in rough shape. I planned on painting the top but I couldn't get a stubborn water spot to not come through after several coats of paint and primer. Hmmm, what to do, what to do???
I decided to try decoupaging book pages on top. I found a great source for hardcover books...my local Salvation Army...50 cents a piece! I picked up several Reader's Digest Condensed Books and began cutting random pages out of them.
I didn't get a good before picture, but here is a "during" picture. See that stubborn water spot I was talking about?
My daughter had a lot of fun helping me with decoupaging the pages on the top. She's quite the little helper. We used matte Mod Podge and generously coated the back of each page. Then we smoothed out the page gently with a squeegee but you could use a debit card or a Pampered Chef scraper for smoothing your pages. Once it was completely covered with pages and had dried, I used a sharp razor blade to cut off any excess paper hanging over the edge. I then applied approximately 5 coats of Mod Podge, sanding gently with a fine grit sanding sponge in between coats.
I think she turned out really cute! I think I'll call her Thelma. When our friends were visiting from Louisiana, J was watching his wife and I talking a mile a minute and so excited to see each other after two long years of being apart. He commented he was glad to see "Thelma and Louise" back together again...so this is Thelma. Louise is waiting in the wings for her makeover. ;)
Cute little "secret" storage spot.
Thelma is available for sale in my Etsy shop. Hope you have a wonderful week!